httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: things to look for in runaway server?
Date Thu, 14 Sep 1995 08:49:25 GMT

> www.links.net is running 0.8.11, is a BSDI 2.0.1 box, and gets about 350K
> hits/day with peaks of 350/minute.  It's for the most part stable,
> with 30-50 children in the pool at peak, but every now and then the
> server goes wild and creates as many children as possible, wedging the
> machine, slowing down requests (though they still get out).  Since I'm
> not always on the machine I'm not there to see when it gets wedged what's
> going on, so we're trying to develop a script that runs every two minutes
> and takes a snapshot of the system.  Given that this should include a
> load average, a number of concurrent httpd's, and the output of a vmstat
> and iostat, is there anything else it should look for?
>
> The logfiles indicate that reverse DNS stopped working (so the log files
> just had IP numbers in it) and every 50 hits had a listing like
>
> 206.14.10.76 - - [13/Sep/1995:13:26:23 -0700] "NULL" 200 920

I'll wager that setting your MaxClients lower will solve this (at the cost
of locking people out occasionally).

and Technical Director      Email: ben@algroup.co.uk (preferred)
A.L. Digital Ltd,                  benl@fear.demon.co.uk (backup)
London, England.

[Note for the paranoid: "fear" as in "Fear and Loathing
in Las Vegas", "demon" as in Demon Internet Services, a
commercial Internet access provider.]