httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@tees.elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: things to look for in runaway server?
Date Thu, 14 Sep 1995 09:28:37 GMT
[server brings it's friends over for a party while you're away and trashes
the house]

> The logfiles indicate that reverse DNS stopped working (so the log files
> just had IP numbers in it) and every 50 hits had a listing like
>
> 206.14.10.76 - - [13/Sep/1995:13:26:23 -0700] "NULL" 200 920
>
> Thoughts?

A fork bombing server is symptomatic of damage to the /tmp/scoreboard file.
In a worst case scenario (already covered in mail last month) we get the
same effect when the 'contents' of the /tmp file are zeroed.  If you've got
a root cron running about zapping /tmp files then this could be a contender.

> 	Brian

Ay.