httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: http_config.c patch for NEXT
Date Wed, 13 Sep 1995 15:48:21 GMT
<snip>

> > >As I understand the new patch naming convention, changed patches
> > >should retain the same patch number and increment the alpha ID
> > >to indicate the latest version. If that is not the case, I am
> > >sure that someone will set me straight... :-)
> >
> > Ahhh! Okay... what are we using to give a patch for a patch then?
> > a new patch number?
> >
> > For example, 1a, 1b are both patches for 16_0.8.12.  Should I have
> > made then 1, and 2?
>
> I believe that is correct. It would probably be less confusing to
> the voters to re-roll a patch that replaces previous patches for
> the same issue and using the alpha character to identifie it as a
> replacement.

Now I'm confused. Are 1a and 1b two separate patches, or two versions of
the same patch (I think the latter is what the names mean)?

And, to repeat an earlier question, if a patch requires other patches,
should it include all the patches it requires (i.e. diff -C3
against the original code), or should it patch the patches (i.e. diff -C3
against the original code+the required patches)?

While we're on the subject of patch naming/voting, what happens if two
alternates for the same patch get the same number of +1 votes?

Cheers,

Ben.

and Technical Director      Email: ben@algroup.co.uk (preferred)
A.L. Digital Ltd,                  benl@fear.demon.co.uk (backup)
London, England.

[Note for the paranoid: "fear" as in "Fear and Loathing
in Las Vegas", "demon" as in Demon Internet Services, a
commercial Internet access provider.]