httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Dirk.vanGulik" <Dirk.vanGu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: Questions about Apache License (fwd)
Date Wed, 13 Sep 1995 16:00:30 GMT

> > I think you're wrong here.  If you don't defend a copyright (eg you know

UK or USA ?

> > of a violation and don't do anything about it) there is legal precident
> > for an arguement that it has lapsed into the public domain.  Legal warned
> > us that once we copyright the code, we have to notify them if we discover
> > anyone violating the copyright.

> Ok, that sounds right, especially since your Legal says so :-) When it
> comes down to it I'm not a lawyer, I've just been involved in these
> processes a lot.

Well, I think this area is a mess, best left to the lawyers. The countries
involved have either napolenic law, english law and two seriously different
deratives. So a behaviour pattern which fits all 4 major options will be hard
to find; esp. as they are quite incompatible. I.e. Napoleonic vs you USA guys.
The English and Canadians float somewhere in the middle. The incompatibility is
quite apparant where it concerns matters as discussed above; i.e. setting precident
by *not* doing anything.

Dw.