httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Market Share
Date Mon, 11 Sep 1995 12:02:11 GMT
Being a newbie, it probably isn't my place to butt into this particular
conversation, but I couldn't let the stuff about market share pass by without
adding my comments:

Freeware (or whatever-apache-is-ware) may not be _directly_ about market share,
but it clearly matters; without a largish market share, you don't get the
programmers interested in maintaining and improving it, and without the
programmers, there is no product. There's a kind of Keynesian Multiplier in
effect, more market share means more programmers means more market share.

Cheers,

Ben.

and Technical Director      Email: ben@algroup.co.uk (preferred)
A.L. Digital Ltd,                  benl@fear.demon.co.uk (backup)
London, England.

[Note for the paranoid: "fear" as in "Fear and Loathing
in Las Vegas", "demon" as in Demon Internet Services, a
commercial Internet access provider.]