httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: netscape marketing
Date Fri, 08 Sep 1995 17:00:50 GMT

> Rob H, I'm not going to get dragged into a pissing match with you
> about which server is better or worse than the other.

Good, it's not what I had in mind.
I should have added a :-) to a couple of my comments.

> Is the problem really only a semantic problem of calling Apache
> Brian B, you called the mail you got unprofessional. Were you upset
> because of unsolicited e-mail? Because he called it an upgrade?
> Because he called Apache shareware when it's different?

when I read the mail it suggested someone had looked at the site
and thought it was good (the standard letter suggests otherwise) but
could be *improved* by changing to Netsite, or the task of managing the
site would be made easier or something unspecified.

it basically says "Netsite is a better option" without saying why, and
as a direct result of the reference to existing software, it suggests
Apache/whatever is inferior... that's for people to decide themselves, not
be told by a biased salesman posing as some kind of consultant.

The mass mailing makes it quite obvious that the salesman hasn't examined
the needs of the people he's writing to, so the whole thing is misleading..
"I see you are using.." when it's really "As a webmaster, this is
a note to let you know about or latest offer for our Netsite server".

So far there hasn't been a public slanging match (or pissing match if
you prefer) regarding which server is best. The mass mailing changes
that.

rob