httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@tees.elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: WEIRD problem with MIME & images & permissions (fwd)
Date Fri, 08 Sep 1995 10:01:48 GMT
> At 6:27 PM 9/7/95, Rob Hartill wrote:
> >XBITHACK the revenge...

This has been a 'feature' since NCSA 1.3, note that the server is also parsing the
.gif file for SSI as well as chucking out a strange mime type.  It's a case
of the documentation not being completely thorough:

	"Don't set your GIFs u+x cuz strange things will happen"

It is clearly inappropriate (because I say so!) to go hacking the server
so that it doesn't parse .gif files.

In almost every case that I've received .GIF files from NFS PC's
writing to a UNIX collection area, the damn things have turned up with uog+x
perms.  This is just something I live with, amicably. [Except when all my
wonderful images come out in plaintext... ;)]

Ay.