httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@tees.elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Netcraft Web Surver Survey
Date Thu, 07 Sep 1995 09:55:15 GMT
> Nice stuff.  I'd be happy to assist with the statistics if you need it.
> In the mean time, it'd be nice to:
>
>   * track which & when sites change servers - this gives a reasonably strong
>     indicator of what's up.

So we can track how close people follow the new releases.  We've got the data
so it might be interesting to work out something like

	"percentage of servers who changed from FooBar/1.2 to
	BazBumble/2.2a-beta in the preceeding month"

>   * add a registration facility for sites to be added to the next round - this
>     only makes your job easier & your results more compelling.

Yep, we're considering this.

>   * growth rates for the number of new sites, new servers, etc.

We could have done this already I suppose.  We actually have 3 surveys already
compiled (1 aug, 16 aug, 1 sep), so perhaps we can build a rate of change
analysis from these.  I'm wary of setting a precedent and getting into a war
with other suveys where we might eventually be running one survey a day.  Don't
want to be accused of running a really aggressive webcrawler.  At any rate
presently a 1monthly sample seems to give good results in terms of %point changes
for server usage (sounds like the stock market).

> Regards,
> Jim.

Cheers,
Ay.

     Andrew Wilson	     URL: http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk/User/Andrew.Wilson/
Elsevier Science, Oxford   Office: +44 01865 843155    Mobile: +44 0589 616144