httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: votes for current patch round...
Date Tue, 05 Sep 1995 20:22:38 GMT
The trouble is that while we know what the problem is, we *can't* produce
a "temporary fix" which will cure it, because the bug is in the kernel,
where our code can't work around it.

You may not like to say "It's not our problem, it's a linux bug", but that
is in fact the situation, and fixing linux is the only way to handle it.

(Recompiling the kernel is a gurus-only procedure even on SunOS, by the
way, but if you want to run a busy server, you're stuck with it... hopefully,
if there's another Linux 1.2.x release, this limit will get raised to a more
reasonable value, something closer to the apparent hard maximum of 255
which comes from the maximum value of an unsigned char...).

rst