httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "can't retrieve real document if error doc is newer" on BSDI (fwd)
Date Fri, 22 Sep 1995 18:14:30 GMT
  they don't if the bug-report is accurate. I haven't attempted to verify it.

Even if it is, there may be other explanations.  For instance, we may be
doing the last-modified check before verifying that we have permission to
read the file.  If we are, and someone does 'chmod 000 somefile.html', we
will continue to send USE_LOCAL_COPY, rather than reporting permission
denied, to anyone who sends 'If-modified-since: lastmod-date'.

I have checked the code, BTW --- die() certainly should be setting r->no_cache,
and internal_redirect() certainly should be propagating it to the new
request_rec.  There may be some silly typo which keeps that code from
working, but it seems more likely that the guy encountered some combination
of circumstances like I outlined above, if he isn't just confused.

rst