httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: -d | !-d ? <-
Date Mon, 18 Sep 1995 14:21:17 GMT

> One other motivator for simplifying the format, is that more and more of the
> people trying to set up webservers are not very familiar with Unix or the Web.
> We get a fair amount of mail from users whose boss has told them to set up a Web
> server and they were chosen because they were Unix users at some point in time.
> (eg. I recently had to explain to one webmaster what a symbolic link was.)

Exactly. These are the kind of people I'd like to see things aimed at.
Unix hackers and web coders may not like it but the web is now a basic
business tool and if you want Apache to win over Netsite then it needs
to be a doddle to get a basic setup working.

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)