httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: New license
Date Mon, 18 Sep 1995 13:14:40 GMT

> > > Why is that?  If you put the Apache copyright on it then it's
> > > copyrighted.  The fact that there is a varient in the public domain
> > > doesn't invalidate the copyright on the published work that is
> > > claiming a copyright (I'm not a lawyer but I believe this is so).
> >
> > There's no such thing as an Apache copyright. We're trying to agree on an
> > Apache license which authors may use to license their code if they so wish.
>
> I think you missed my point.  You said "For the NCSA code, either
> it stays in the public domain and any Apache patches go into the public
> domain with it".  And I am saying that this is wrong, if you slap
> a copyright on the NCSA code and publish it then you own the copyright
> *on the copy you publish* and any modifications to the original.
>
> My major point being, the Apache patches do not fall into the public
> domain unless the author explicitly places them in the public
> domain.  Therefore, there is no problem with placing whatever
> copyright and license you want on the NCSA source files (though
> it would only make sense to do this on files with modifications).

Hang on, first you've been rather selective in quoting me, you've only quoted
the first clause of the "either", the second clause said something like
"or someone sticks their copyright on it and then we can use the Apache
license".  You're original reply talked about an Apache copyright, you can't
do that. I agree about copyrighting public domain code, you should re-read
my previous mail on this subject.

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)