httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache Team Incorporation
Date Sat, 16 Sep 1995 16:00:29 GMT

> I was musing about the question of the existence or non-existence of the
> entity "the Apache Team" (or Group or whatever), and I suddenly remembered that
> in the UK it is permitted to set up a partnership where the partnership
> agreement is "verbal and varies from time to time". This tends not to happen
> very often, because without a written agreement it is hard to resolve arguments
> but since no money is involved, there is no major consequence to that in this
> case.

You can set up a company for these sorts of things for about 250 pounds in
the UK. There are no shareholders and no board of directors. Instead, there
are members and a committee. Neither the committe nor the members have any
stake in the company. This type of corporation is used to run
"research" type companies where the members, either individuals or companies
collaborate to fund research projects and no money is ever taken out of the
company except to finance the research.

I looked into this for FreeBSD to the extent that I spoke with a solicitor
and an accountant about how to set up a company where the aim is simply to
accept donations to fund the project and hold a copyright and trademark but
where none of the people involved would ever end up "owning" the company
and its assosciated assets.

Both the members and the committee can be made up of anyone, particularly
non-UK residents, so it's also perfect for an international project.

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)