httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: New license
Date Sat, 16 Sep 1995 00:54:25 GMT

> Paul Richards writes:
> > I'm not going to change the license and copyright on code that
> > clearly isn't mine and I've got no idea who did what. For the NCSA
> > code, either it stays in the public domain and any Apache patches
> > go into the public domain with it,
> Why is that?  If you put the Apache copyright on it then it's
> copyrighted.  The fact that there is a varient in the public domain
> doesn't invalidate the copyright on the published work that is
> claiming a copyright (I'm not a lawyer but I believe this is so).

There is a difference between a copyright and a license. I can't change
a copyright, in fact no-one can. The author has the copyright.
(Beth is correct in that if you are working for someone then the person
paying for your time owns the copyright, in most cases). I can't put a
license on someone else's code unless it's a case of my adding a license
for a derivative work, but even in that case the original code isn't
covered by the new license.

There's no such thing as an Apache copyright. We're trying to agree on an
Apache license which authors may use to license their code if they so wish.

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)