httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Cannot ref gifs in directory other than where html is located" on FreeBSD
Date Sat, 16 Sep 1995 00:48:13 GMT

> On Fri, 15 Sep 1995, Paul Richards wrote:
> > >
> > > Submitter: gcrutcher@datatrek.com
> > > Operating system: FreeBSD, version:
> > > Extra Modules used: None
> > > URL exhibiting problem:
> > >
> > > Symptoms:
> > > --
> > > I added welcome.html to the DirectoryIndex line in srm.html. I can only reference
icons, gifs if they are in the same  directory as the html, rather than having a separate
directory for images.  Maybe I am just obtuse about this, but I have tried all sorts of combinations
to get this to work. I can find no doc regrading this matter.
> > > --
> >
> > Umm, where did this come from? Am I receiving FreeBSD specific bugs from
> > the bug form?
>
> Yes, you volunteered to be an "expert" for FreeBSD, one of 6 currently in
> the bugs.cgi script (you can see the source at
> ftp://hyperreal.com/apache/bugs.cgi).  I posted about this a few days
> ago, before making it live last night.  I will remove your name if you so
> desire, but unless someone else is willing to be the "expert" for FreeBSD
> then Rob would probably forward it to you anyways.
>
> If anyone thinks the idea of "experts" for the bug report form is silly,
> or wants their name removed, let me know before 3pm PST today.

Umm, OK. I'm not against this but I wasn't told I'd been added to a mailing
list for this purpose so I'm a bit surprised and when I volunteered to
suport FreeBSD for the Apache project it was from a development point of view,
i.e. I'll test out the patches and releases to make sure they run on FreeBSD.

It looks like I'll now get mail from anyone who has any sort of
problem with Apache and lists FreeBSD as the underlying OS. I'm
not too keen on that, 1) because quite often it's the end users
fault and 2) because when it isn't it's a general httpd server
problem rather than a FreeBSD specific problem.

The above report is a good example, I simply don't have the time
to be a general Apache support person. This is not a snub or anything
like that but I get 300-400 mail messages a day relating to things
like this for FreeBSD and supporting Apache as well just isn't
feasible.

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)