httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: -d | !-d ? <-
Date Fri, 15 Sep 1995 17:15:59 GMT

> What I really want to know is are you planning to change your configuration
> file formats?  I would like NCSA and Apache to stay in sync.  Since 2.0 will
> not be a drop-in replacement anyway, I would not oppose a format modifications
> at that time.  We will be creating a number of scripts to convert 1.X style
> site to 2.0 formats.  This would just be one more, and we'd be willing to
> give Apache the conversion scripts for changing the old style configuration
> files to a new format.  Decisions about the new format would have to be
> made in the next 2 months, and after that they would be set in stone (except
> for additions) as far as NCSA was concerned.

> So are you interested in coming up with a new and improved format for
> all the global configuration files?

I certainly think we should. The current configuration file layout
is a mess and one of the stonger reasons for retaining it is NCSA
compatibility. If NCSA are going to change it for 2.0 anyway then
it makes sense for everyone to think this through properly and come
up with a common format that works well now and is flexible enough to
add things to as the servers evolve.

I'm certainly interested.

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)