httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: http_config.c patch for NEXT
Date Wed, 13 Sep 1995 17:40:36 GMT

> <snip>

> > > Ahhh! Okay... what are we using to give a patch for a patch then?
> > > a new patch number?
> > >
> > > For example, 1a, 1b are both patches for 16_0.8.12.  Should I have
> > > made then 1, and 2?
> >
> > I believe that is correct. It would probably be less confusing to
> > the voters to re-roll a patch that replaces previous patches for
> > the same issue and using the alpha character to identifie it as a
> > replacement.
>
> Now I'm confused. Are 1a and 1b two separate patches, or two versions of
> the same patch (I think the latter is what the names mean)?

My interpretation is that 1b supercedes 1a.

> And, to repeat an earlier question, if a patch requires other patches,
> should it include all the patches it requires (i.e. diff -C3
> against the original code), or should it patch the patches (i.e. diff -C3
> against the original code+the required patches)?

Ieee..  I think it would be difficult to require each person to
stay in sync with another's work.  I think that it is really up
to the release engineer to make an attempt to work out the
conflicts. If you are aware of a dependency before submittal,
that would be nice to know.

> While we're on the subject of patch naming/voting, what happens if two
> alternates for the same patch get the same number of +1 votes?

If you mean 'a' vs. 'b', I would see no reason to tally votes on a
superceded patch. If you mean an alternate approach to a certain
code change, I would assume that we would need to put both
patches into the next round, or have a tie breaking vote.... Yikes!

Anyone for Autocracy?  :-)