httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <>
Subject Re: Questions about Apache License (fwd)
Date Wed, 13 Sep 1995 14:25:54 GMT
> > > This is the copyright I use
> > >

> > I would vote +1 on adoption of a Berkely License.
> Something like Paul suggested?  I guess it covers all the bases.
> Provided a 'real' entity can be attributed to.  Does Apache Group
> exist in any real sense?

You can attribute a "project" but it can't own the copyright. The author
will have to own the copyright until such a time (if it's ever felt
necessary) that some legal incorporation of the project takes place.

In the legal sense, the author holds the copyright anyway since the
current copyright (to the Apache group) has no meaning.

I'd recommend switching to a Berkeley license, adding a clause that
says this code forms part of the Apache server and that attribution
of the Apache project must be included and then add a file (for
informational purposes) that explains what the Apache project is.
I'd include a list of contributers in that file, nothing more would
be necessary since those people who have made considerable
contributions will have their name in the files they own the
copyright of. Incidentally, you can add the author of the code in
the file even if the copyright is owned by someone else, e.g. NCSA
derived code.

  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)

View raw message