httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: Questions about Apache License (fwd)
Date Wed, 13 Sep 1995 13:17:21 GMT

> This is the copyright I use

I would vote +1 on adoption of a Berkely License.

> I allow unrestricted usage as long as attribution is made.  There's
> nothing to stop Netscape from looking over the Apache sources and
> stealing all the best ideas, there's nothing to stop a company
> bundling it with another product and as this request shows, it's
> not easy to deal with a situation where someone wants to base a
> product on top of Apache so in practice you're powerless to stop
> people making money from selling Apache and it's better to just
> allow unrestricted use. What exactly are you trying to prevent from
> happening?

I think the original intent was to make sure that Apache code
remained credited as Apache code. I think it would be difficult
to defend it beyond that.

I would also vote +1 on any necessary extension to resolve this
license issue before the next voting session.