httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Questions about Apache License (fwd)
Date Tue, 12 Sep 1995 22:56:04 GMT
Hmmm... the license has two sections which might be applicable, one towards
simple redistribution of Apache, and the other towards distribution of
derivative works.  For the former, the resale prohibition applies; for the
latter, all we require is:

 * Reuse of "Apache Group" code outside of the Apache distribution should
 * be acknowledged with the following quoted text, to be included with any new
 * work;
 *
 * "Portions developed by the "Apache Group", taken with permission
 *  from the Apache Server   http://www.apache.org/apache/   "
 *

If he really has "heavily modified" the server core, I'd be inclined to
just let him sell the thing --- the modifications would be impossible to
separate anyway (besides which, our license is commonly understood to
permit sale of derivative works --- or at least one interested outsider
in the W3O has that impression).

FWIW, there are site-builders here who are, in effect, distributing
(modified?) Apache versions to clients as part of their commercial service.
If the license doesn't permit this, it certainly ought to --- I would be
more comfortable with a straight BSD license.  Sigh...

rst