httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: MAXHOSTNAMELEN
Date Tue, 12 Sep 1995 13:41:59 GMT

> At 10:42 AM 9/12/95 BST, you wrote:
> >Hullo,
> >
> >	I'm developing a minor fix based around the proper use of
> >MAXHOSTNAMELEN, which effects 2 lines in util.c.
> >
> >MAXHOSTNAMELEN is defined (typically) in
> >
> >	/usr/include/sys/param.h
> >
> >	I checked Linux 1.2.8...
> >
> You really don't have to worry about previous release of the kernel.
> 1.2.8->1.2.13 are really the only ones we would recommend running
> Apache on. 1.2.13 is becoming almost a must.

That's not really the issue and Linux is a real problem in this area. Apache
will look really stupid if it mandates a particular version of an OS and
it should therefore compile and run on any version if at all possible. Kernel
bugs that make this impossible are an exception, Apache shouldn't jump
through hoops to fix bugs in an OS, where do you stop, DOS is just an
OS with LOTS of bugs, let's re-write Apache to work around them :-)

In any case, the problem I saw with what Andy posted was, where the hell
do I get MAXHOSTNAMELEN from? It's defined three times and in very obscure
include files. Anyone have a Linux machine they'd give me an account on,
I'd go look around the sources myself then and see what the correct thing
to do is.

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)