httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: votes for current patch round...
Date Wed, 06 Sep 1995 13:41:26 GMT
James H. Cloos Jr. liltingly intones:

> Robert> In the meantime, raising the fixed limit of 5 in the function
> Robert> which Chuck quoted doesn't seem like anything subtle or
> Robert> difficult to me... it's basically what one does on SunOS,
> Robert> although on this system, the constant in question is at least
> Robert> in a header file, and not buried in the source...
>
> I'd note that in 1.3.15, the default is 128, not 5.  This is still not
> enough here (between 125K and 250K hits/day).
>
> It could be made as high as 255, w/o redoing the struct sock.

This is good. An additional source of confusion is that there are two
development branches in Linux:

1.2.x (COFF, past/current(?), although this may be dying out soon)
1.3.x (ELF, and future development)

Some folks are running Linux kernels as old as 1.0.8, or even 0.99pl??.

It makes things difficult, and many package developers pick a kernel
version and don't support anything older than that. Aram's point that
many Linux users are newbies to *nix is a valid one, but there's not
much they can do about a listen backlog problem without rebuilding
Linux, unless there's a kernel loadable/configurable module for the
TCP/IP stack. I haven't seen one yet.

chuck
Chuck Murcko	Telebase Systems, Inc.	Wayne PA	chuck@telebase.com
And now, on a lighter note:
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding
bureaucracy.