httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Aram W. Mirzadeh" <...@qosina.com>
Subject Re: votes for current patch round...
Date Tue, 05 Sep 1995 22:05:50 GMT
At 05:18 PM 9/5/95 EDT, you wrote:
>Aram, Chuck's point (and mine) is that this is a problem, not with TCP/IP
>as a whole, but with the Linux TCP/IP implementation (as your Linux gurus
>seem to confirm by saying that they're working on it).  It cannot be fixed
>or worked around by changing the server, or any other user-mode code; when
>the kernel is fixed, the problem will vanish.

I totally agree.

>In the meantime, raising the fixed limit of 5 in the function which Chuck
>quoted doesn't seem like anything subtle or difficult to me... it's basically
>what one does on SunOS, although on this system, the constant in question is
>at least in a header file, and not buried in the source...

You see the type of questions we get around here that are from Linux people....
I would actually say rebuilding a kernel in SunOS is an easy matter....
Linux on
the other hand... is another question.  Most people (60%) who run linux are
just
getting into unix.  Trying to get them to DO a kernel rebuild is hard enough,
not even mentioning trying to patch it.

All I need is to tell people when they say, "hey I'm having this problem, what's
the deal?"  I rather say, 'we know the problem, here is a temporary fix.'  Or
'It's not our problem, it's a linux bug.'

<Aram>