httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Aram W. Mirzadeh" <...@qosina.com>
Subject Re: secure transfer using skey
Date Sat, 02 Sep 1995 16:57:36 GMT
At 02:33 PM 9/2/95 +0800, you wrote:
>On Fri, 1 Sep 1995, Aram W. Mirzadeh wrote:
>>
>> There is only one problem with skey.  Some OS's can't use it... just
>> as Linux.  skey requires crypt which linux does not contain, and can't
>> because it's a international product.
>
>    There must be an S/Key product available for Linux, even if only
>within U.S./Canada.  FreeBSD is also as "international" as Linux, but
>S/Key, Kerberos, DES crypt(), etc. are available for it.  What does
>Linux use for password hashing?  DES or MD5?
>--
>Brian ("Though this be madness, yet there is method in't") Tao
>taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org

DES( I think ) you can add crypt to it.... but you have to load a whole bunch
of stuff into it.  The only difference between FreeBSD, and Linux is that
FreeBSD is a US product, the main production goes on here.   Linux's
main production is in Finland.  Which means, they don't have access to
things like crypt, so it never gets into the disterbution.  I'm sure someone
out there has created the correct files/libs for crypt to get integerated into
Linux, but most likely, it will never get into the public disterbution.

<Aram>