httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Apache looks for .htaccess
Date Thu, 17 Aug 1995 10:46:00 GMT
Can I suggest the following be added to access.conf-dist:

----
#This stops apache looking for .htaccess files in directories above
#your document root. Comment this out only if you want apache to
#look for /.htaccess, /usr/.htaccess, /usr/local/.htaccess etc.
<Directory />
AllowOverride None
</Directory>
----

For people with with documentroot below an automount point, the
performance penalty for checking for the .htaccess files is severe;
up to 1/2 second if you use NIS+.

 David.