httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Ah, make that 5.3 Re: Apache 0.8.8 can't run a Irix 5.2? (fwd)
Date Fri, 11 Aug 1995 23:39:38 GMT

gethostname() sillyness?

	Brian

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 14:45:09 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Peter Hjelt <peter@cartes.hut.fi>
To: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>
Subject: Re: Ah, make that 5.3 Re: Apache 0.8.8 can't run a Irix 5.2?

> > It compiles alright, and leaves a valid ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic executable
> > (not stripped) MIPS - version 1 executable. When the executable is run,
> > it exits WITHOUT any error/debug messages or logged information on
> > any problems. Why?
>
> I think I found the problem (this is being forwarded to the development group
> as well), at least as far as I can see it under 5.3.  The default "Group"
> directive in httpd.conf points to "#-1" - using that I saw exactly your
> behavior on 5.3 (exiting without warning message - with the -X it core
> dumped).

Shit, this system is probably a 5.3 nowadays. Anyway, the problem was in
the GID, I changed that, and it worked out OK. Quite nasty to drop a core
on you for a thing like this. :)

Now, another problem (not a bug, really?): I get the errormessage:

httpd: cannot determine local host name.
Use ServerName to set it manually.

The gethostname() function returns the name of this host "cartes-4", with
a empty h_alias field in the hostent. True, there are no aliases for this
host containg a fully qualified name, and I can easely set up some in the
/etc/hosts, but do I really have to do this? I remember the ncsa httpd
running w/o any problems on this machine with the same setup..

At least this errormessage could be a bit more enlightening.

     E-Mail: phjelt@iki.fi        URL: http://www.iki.fi/phjelt/
        IRC: MXV on #WWW, #perl   Tel. +358-0-5054790, +358-0-464008