httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: hypermail archive? patch database?
Date Mon, 21 Aug 1995 00:14:07 GMT
On Sun, 20 Aug 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > Hypermail busted trying to deal with more than 1000 messages (ran out of
> > memory - ugh!)  It should move to a quarterly mechanism of course, same
> > thing with the www-vrml mailing list, woth a glimpse search backend, but
> > they have been two items on my ever-leapfrogging list of things to do. :(
> > BTW, does anyone here know if glimpse has special support for large
> > mailbox files, a la GN/WN's mailbox mechanisms?  No one has yet
> > satisfied my desires for a searchable and browseable interface to mailbox
> > archives yet - GN/WN come close.
>
> I use glimpse to index ~30,000 files, it has great promise, but it
> lacks important features for common searches, e.g. if you want to search
> across multiple lines, all the regular expression stuff stops working.
> Doh !.

I fixed this in the places I've implemented it by separating out the
logical combinations until after glimpse returns the results, so I just
apply the logic to the list of returned files.

> Their coding style is a little "different" too. They love to use "system"
> to do things they should code themselves. I'm sure glimpse could be written
> in perl in a fraction of its current size.

Ugh, I didn't realize it used "system" so much.  Security hole city?

Anyone here an expert on glimpse/harvest/etc.?  It would be nice to have
a module that interfaces directly with it, he thinks out loud.....

	Brian