httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: filetype-based script execution
Date Tue, 22 Aug 1995 00:05:02 GMT
On Mon, 21 Aug 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> I've just glanced over this, but I'm curious why you copied the script
> invocation code directly, rather than doing an internal_redirect to a
> the URI which you'd get by doing

See my comment about screaming and running for the hills :) Actually,
this occured to be, but it had one problem, namely:

> The handler (or action, whatever) would then get the original URI as
> PATH_INFO, and the actual location of the object in the file system as
> PATH_TRANSLATED.

Well, then, what do you do if the client requests /file.type/extra-path?
Presumably the CGI script might like to know this. Using DOCUMENT_URI and
DOCUMENT_TRANSLATED gets around this problem (it's also what you did with
patch E70 - or E75, depending where you look - back in April). And I
didn't see any way of doing this usingi an internal redirect. Is there
one? It'd certainly be better if there is.

> This would be somewhat less work to start with, and would also be
> easier to maintain if changes were necessary to the scripting
> machinery in the future (say, to PUT/POST arg passing, which is likely
> to change somewhat with support for chunked transfer encodings...).

Quite true. *sigh* Anyone have any comment on PATH vs DOCUMENT?

Thanks.