httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: nomenclature
Date Sat, 19 Aug 1995 22:26:15 GMT
On Sat, 19 Aug 1995, Roy Fielding wrote:

> Actually, no.  message/http is (or will be) a real MIME type, which
> means you wouldn't want to do things like change

> into a 302 response code.  Note also that message/http could be a request.

Hmmm. Okay. It just seemed to make sense using message/http. Guess not.

> I recommend not changing it until you need some feature implemented
> that requires all of HTTP/1.1's requirements (i.e., content negotiation,
> when done right, will also require the cache notification via URI: ...).

Right. Which brings up a question for the people who coded Apache (rst
mainly): I haven't looked, but is there a way for modules to easily
determine what version of HTTP was used to send the request message?
Looking over draft-ietf-http-v10-spec-01.txt, I see several places where
we'll want to respond differently to HTTP/1.0 responses than to 1.1
and later - with HTTP/1.2, this becomes even more pronounced, I believe.

> In other words, we can do anything we want in 1.0, but saying 1.1 implies
> that we must do certain things exactly as specified (which is a little
> difficult when the specification is incomplete).

Good point. Although, once we do do things exactly as specified, we
should call ourselves 1.1. Right?