httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: nomenclature
Date Fri, 18 Aug 1995 23:16:33 GMT
On Fri, 18 Aug 1995, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> 1) spend a few more weeks squishing bugs and adding a few small cosmetic
> features here and there (like scoreboard.pl, which I haven't gotten to
> work yet), and *make sure it implements all of the HTTP/1.0 "BCP" draft*,
> and call that Apache 1.0.  Is there anything not in Apache now that
> should be in HTTP/1.0 servers, even as a non-required option?

Hmm. We don't send the Allow: header, I don't believe, anywhere. But
glancing over the spec quickly, that's the only thing I see that we don't
do.

Well.. there is something that, while it's not really in the spec
(Appendix A), we've implemnted incorrectly: We should rename
http/send-as-is to message/http.

Also... we're not a proxy server. Does that count?

> 2) When the HTTP 1.1 draft is released, start implementing items from it
> (like digest auth) and revising current items that need to be revised
> (like content negotiation).  Start releasing those new modules and
> bugfixes as Apache 1.0.x, with Apache 1.1 as the "stable" implementation
> of HTTP/1.1 as it moves to last call.

Sounds good. When do we change the version number in the status line from
HTTP/1.0 to HTTP/1.1? At Apache 1.0.1, at 1.1, or at some point in
between? I'd recommend the third. When we're first mimimally complient
with HTTP 1.1, we should change it.

> 3) Repeat for HTTP/1.2 and Apache 1.2

Sounds good.