httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: promoting apache
Date Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:57:36 GMT
Hmm...

Brian Behlendorf pointed out to me a problem with my apache_pb.gif: It
uses 168 colors, which could be a problem on computers that can only
display 256 colors at once - this doesn't leave very many colors left
over for other images on the page. Which can be a problem.

So I've created a new image, at http://www.dal.net/apache_pb2.gif, which
uses only 32 colors. It's 2326 bytes, for those who care about such
things. And unlike apb.gif, it actually looks pretty good. Maybe ever
better than apache_pb.gif.

So I'd like to suggest that apache_pb.gif be replaced with my new one
where appropriate (esp on the Apache page) - they look almost identical*,
so no one will notice the difference.

Also, it should probably go into the icons directory of the next Apache
release, so it's easily accessable for webmasters to use.

Comments?

* Note that the new one is 1 pixel shorter, so adjust HEIGHT attributes as
  appropriate. It's the same width.