httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Tao <t...@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Subject Re: setrlimit() before forking?
Date Wed, 09 Aug 1995 12:54:01 GMT
On Wed, 9 Aug 1995, Eric Hagberg wrote:

> Portability will bean issue with that call as well... if it gets put in,
> #ifdef it, ("HAVE_SETRLIM" ?) and #undef it in the AUX-specific section of
> conf.h...

    I envision additional httpd.conf entries that allow the server
admin to limit the amount of processes, memory, CPU time, file
creation size, etc.  This would be especially nice for controlling
poorly-written or buggy CGI scripts.  Set a reasonable CPU limit on
them, and the kernel zaps them before they do any real damage.

    What does A/UX use for resource limits?  The setrlimit() call on
the systems I have here (FreeBSD 2.0.5, SunOS 4.1.3, Solaris 2.4, IRIX
5.2/6., AIX 3.2.5) are thankfully consistent, so there shouldn't be
too much work to make it work on systems that support it.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org