httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject Re: server cgi include bug (fwd)
Date Fri, 04 Aug 1995 22:52:31 GMT
On Fri, 4 Aug 1995, Rob Hartill forwarded:
> > >CGI scripts *must* have headers. They're not CGI if they don't
> > >produce a header.
> > >If you want to include output of a script
> > >that doesn't produce headers, you should use exec cmd=""
> >
> > This is not how NCSA's server works, that's why I call it a bug.  The problem
> > with using "exec cmd" is that you must know the absolute path to the script,
> > but "exec cgi" allows you to use a virtual path.  I can't afford to use
> > absolute paths since the scripts must be portable with no modifications.

So, the solution is obviously to allow "exec cmd" to use relative paths.
That's how #include works too.

> > With NCSA's server, I wrote docs that had "exec cgi" includes imbedded
> > in the middle of a document.  Now they don't work with Apache, which
> > advertises itself as a "drop-in replacement".  This is not so, and
> > therefore it's a misleading statement.

> > Either Apache needs to conform to NCSA standards,
[er, bugs]

> > or a mechanism to
> > exec cmds via virtual paths needs to be added.

This is what I'd prefer

> > The former is highly
> > preferable for compatiblity reasons.  a "drop-in replacement" should
> > be exactly that.

"...highly preferable because I'm lazy and don't like fixing my bugs."

Sorry, busy Friday.  The docs are still in progress.  RobT, you can
announce anytime, it'll be a week before the documentation is fully
complete but I'll work on it this weekend.  I will have 0.8.7 on
hyperreal and organic before the end of the day.

View raw message