httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Vote change...
Date Wed, 30 Aug 1995 15:28:13 GMT
   From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
   Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 13:00:50 -0500 (CDT)

   It seems that in order to veto a patch, you are at least
   obligated to apply it.

As I said before, it does not apply cleanly against 0.8.11

   For the reasons I stated, this *needs* to get in .12 so that it
   can be tested to avoid possible problems in the next round. There
   are some other patches to conf.h and util.c which could be
   conflicts. As I said, I would be happy to roll this release if
   it would make it any easier on you.

Whoa!  As I have already said, the way this process is supposed to
work is that people who are going to vote on this patch as a patch to
0.8.12 are supposed to test it --- and that testing is supposed to
prevent problems.  Saying that you need this patch in .12 in order to
get it tested is equivalent to saying that people who vote on it in
future releases will act in bad faith.

If you want a different process, in which I toss in stuff that looks
good to me, and pull it if it doesn't work out, I can do that too ---
in fact, it's what I was doing for a while, and while stuff did
occasionally get pulled, there didn't seem to be any major calamities.
However, people wanted a voting process instead, and a voting process
in which people don't get to even see what they're voting on (because
it keeps changing out from under them) is meaningless.

As to rolling releases --- that's easy.  Politics is my major time
sink.

rst