httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Votes for 0.8.12...
Date Tue, 29 Aug 1995 19:30:52 GMT
   From: Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
   Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 18:09:45 +0100 (BST)

   This won't work because BSD4_4 is a botched define in that it was
   also defined for BSD systems between 4.3 and 4.4, i.e. Net/2 and
   possible Reno releases so you can't rely on all 4.4 features being
   present even if it's defined. It was defined to be 0.5 in pre-4.4
   releases and 1 in the real 4.4 release. CSRG don't screw up often
   but they certainly did this time.

Is this the only thing wrong with Randy's patch (aside from not
setting HAS_GMTOFF in some of the BSD cases (!), as Brian has recently
discovered)?

I may well be missing something here, but if my reading of this
paragraph is correct, Randy's approach can be made to work as follows:

#ifdef BSD_4_4
#if BSD_4_4 > 0.5
                sprintf(tag,"%qd",finfo.st_size);
#else
                sprintf(tag,"%ld",finfo.st_size);
#endif /* *real* BSD_4_4 */
#else
		sprintf(tag,"%ld",finfo.st_size);
#endif

This will, of course, win no prizes for elegance or concision;
however, if it will in fact work on all BSD-oid systems, I'd much
prefer it.  The advantage is that it doesn't involve messing around
much with the rest of the code, including the config defines for
systems which we don't necessarily have (and which I *really* don't
want to mess with until post-1.0, at which point conf.h clearly does
deserve serious rework).

rst