httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Dirk.vanGulik" <Dirk.vanGu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: Patches for 0.8.8 to 0.8.11 (fwd) {cosmetic}
Date Tue, 29 Aug 1995 20:13:02 GMT
> From owner-new-httpd@hyperreal.com Tue Aug 29 21:41:56 1995
> From: Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: Patches for 0.8.8 to 0.8.11 (fwd) {cosmetic}
> To: new-httpd@hyperreal.com
> Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 20:24:02 +0100 (BST)
> Sender: owner-new-httpd@hyperreal.com

> > There are more problems to be uncovered here. A default Solaris install
> > leaves you needing to get both uname -n & domainname output to get a fully
> > qualified hostname. Same results with UnixWare. NetBSD and BSDI give you a
> > fully qualified hostname from uname -n. SVR4. Feh.
> >

> Umm, domainname returns the the NIS domain and not the internet
> domain name. There's something wrong with Solaris and/or your configuration
> if that's the case. Apache will never use domainname to get a FQDN, it's
> just not the same thing.
>
> Of course, if Sun have totally screwed this up with Solaris I wouldn't
> be surprised :-)

Ok, could not resist, I was once trained to be an experimental physisist,
never made it, but does this help; here is the output on an very
old Sun 4.1.1, 4.1.3, Solaris, OSF and an SGI. done a

   ( uname -a; uname -n; domainname) | mail myself, which gives the
following (and yes they are in two domains :-)

SunOS elect6 5.4 Generic_101945-10 sun4m sparc
elect6
elec.isei.jrc.it

SunOS indian 4.1.1_+N 1 sun4c
indian