httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: NEXTSTEP bug fixes (fwd)
Date Tue, 29 Aug 1995 13:56:22 GMT
  We have the chance now to fix a serious bug with a ready made patch
  (even if it needs a little tinkering). Pushing it aside to suit an
  unannounced timetable is IMO a bad thing.

The schedule was announced and agreed to well in advance.

  We're going to look bad releasing code with known bugs *and* known
  fixes.

Funny.  No one seemed to mind that, certainly not *you*, when 0.8.8 had
been the current release for nigh on three weeks, and I was *desperate*
to get something out the door which included bug fixes, some of which we
had had in hand for almost all of that time, which were at least as
serious as this.

In the meantime, there are seventeen patches on the current ballot as it
stands.  That number pushes the bounds of what is manageable as it is, and
if we put the vote off for another day, there will be another one, and then
another the day after that, and then another...

Now, if you like, I could skip the procedural stuff altogether, put together
a release with the patches I thought made sense, and put it out.  But that
would be undemocratic, and I would get flamed to a crisp.  So you want votes
--- but if that system is going to work, then we must actually vote on
things, and not keep putting it off.

rst