httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: NEXTSTEP bug fixes (fwd)
Date Tue, 29 Aug 1995 10:19:49 GMT

>    From: Rob Hartill <hartill@hyperreal.com>
>    Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 22:55:31 -0700 (PDT)
>
>    first, I responded to this guy with a thank you.
>
>    If it's not too late, this might count as a showstopper bug that needs
>    fixing.
>
> Unfortunately, this *is* past deadline,

for the record, what counts as a show stopper bug?

this bug can cause big problems. If it had been on a more popular
flavor of Unix I'm sure it would count as a show stopper. So where
does the line get drawn ?

if it means an extra day before 0.8.12, that's fine by me.

> and it also conflicts with at
> least one other current patch (the changes to conf.h conflict with
> Randy's no-bsd-conf), which is something I don't have time to resolve
> before the vote.

delay the vote ?

> A revised version is a no-brainer for the next round.  I'll even do
> the revision.  But if you want an orderly process (and you were one of
> two people screaming bloody murder about my doing stuff on a whim),
> you have to be prepared to live with it.

I can live with order, but common sense doesn't have to be sacrificed.

We have the chance now to fix a serious bug with a ready made patch
(even if it needs a little tinkering). Pushing it aside to suit an
unannounced timetable is IMO a bad thing.
We're going to look bad releasing code with known bugs *and* known
fixes.

Whatever. This isn't flamebate so lets not argue too much. If nobody
else agrees with this point of view, stick to the current set of patches.

rob