httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Linux problem - no response
Date Wed, 23 Aug 1995 10:34:33 GMT
   Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 13:14:58 -0400
   From: "Aram W. Mirzadeh" <awm@qosina.com>

   Give me a step by step, and I'll get you the output.

OK... find the pid of a blocked process (I'm not sure what style of ps
Linux boxes generally come with, but looking for the pid of the server
root process, and grepping the output of a full ps (all processes on
the sytem) looking for those with that number as pid or ppid works for
me --- on SunOS, this is "ps alx | grep <root-pid>").

Once you've identified a process (root or child) which you'd like to
debug, do

  % gdb httpd

>From within gdb, say

  (gdb) attach <pid>

where <pid> is the pid of the process in question.  Assuming that
attaching to processes works under Linux, you should then be able to
get a backtrace, examine variables, set breakpoints, etc., with the
usual gdb commands (gdb has a fairly extensive help system; at any
rate, "where" gets a backtrace).

When you want to cut it loose, say "detach", or just quit out of gdb,
which will query for confirmation and then detach it automatically.

rst