httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Vote early, vote often...
Date Tue, 22 Aug 1995 13:39:05 GMT
   Date: Tue, 22 Aug 95 18:12 BST
   From: drtr@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)

Comments on one veto:

   patch10.wild-dirs       -1  what about / in wildcards?

[Somewhat angered...]  I thought the purpose of getting patches in a
couple of days before a vote was to give time for people to look the
patches over, and for objections like this to be aired.  Why is this
the first I hear of it?  At any rate, I'll pretend you had raised the
issue earlier, and respond...

To answer the question --- we're compatible.  Doing anything else
would break peoples' setups --- I'm sure Roy isn't the only person who
is counting on "/*/public_html*" to match all UserDirs.

Even if you think this is a bug (and having looked at some more setups
than my own since I thought myself that slashes in wildcards were a
problem, I frankly disagree), you must surely accept that this is an
improvement on the status quo, in which wildcards are just hosed (a
bug which has been reported to use repeatedly, which has security
implications, and which we had better fix).

rst