httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: filetype-based script execution
Date Mon, 21 Aug 1995 19:38:28 GMT
   Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 15:32:40 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>

   Hi:

   I've uploaded to /httpd/incoming on hyperreal a module I just wrote,
   mod_action.c. It's a cross between mod_cgi.c, mod_mime.c and mod_include.c
   that implements a command that was called "AddHandler" by rst in his
   vetoed patch for 0.6.2. But I like WebSTAR's name better, so I used it.

I've just glanced over this, but I'm curious why you copied the script
invocation code directly, rather than doing an internal_redirect to a
the URI which you'd get by doing

   pstrcat (r->pool, <handler_name>, r->uri, NULL);

The handler (or action, whatever) would then get the original URI as
PATH_INFO, and the actual location of the object in the file system as
PATH_TRANSLATED.

This would be somewhat less work to start with, and would also be
easier to maintain if changes were necessary to the scripting
machinery in the future (say, to PUT/POST arg passing, which is likely
to change somewhat with support for chunked transfer encodings...).

rst