httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: page counter module
Date Sun, 20 Aug 1995 12:33:31 GMT
Hmmm... this effectively implements the "bean count log" which Rob McCool
brought up on this list ages ago as an idea which had been kicked around
Netscape.  The only quibble I have with it on that score is that a serial
search through the entire log is going to start to drag on busy sites;
use of something like DBM might be a better bet.  (I haven't ever counted
the number of distinct URIs which this site gets requests for on an average
day, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it in the range of a few thousand).

As to making the counts available to scripts and includes... hoo boy,
the cache fanciers on HTTP-WG are gonna love *this*.

One final question arises, namely whether to put this in the main
distribution, or in the contributed modules directory.  My personal
preference is for the latter (it would be nice to have that directory
a bit less vacant ;-), but I have no *deep* misgivings about seeing it
as a new experimental module in the main server distribution (we have a
few of those, too, already).  I guess right now, I'm a +0 on it... (the
main problem being that it does have the potential to drag down large
sites that try it...).

rst