httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: nomenclature
Date Sat, 19 Aug 1995 19:03:10 GMT
   Date: Sat, 19 Aug 1995 15:26:15 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>

   Right. Which brings up a question for the people who coded Apache (rst
   mainly): I haven't looked, but is there a way for modules to easily
   determine what version of HTTP was used to send the request message?
   Looking over draft-ietf-http-v10-spec-01.txt, I see several places where
   we'll want to respond differently to HTTP/1.0 responses than to 1.1
   and later - with HTTP/1.2, this becomes even more pronounced, I believe.

The "protocol" element of request_rec structures should be the
information required --- this gets set to "HTTP/0.9" for an old-format
request, to whatever the client sent for HTTP/1.x format requests, and
to "INCLUDED" for the internally-generated requests which are used to
handle stuff like server-side includes (you could follow r->main
pointers out to the original request if you wanted to know the actual
protocol).

Right now, the CGI module is the only thing that makes any use of this
information, but it's there if anyone wants it.

   Good point. Although, once we do do things exactly as specified, we
   should call ourselves 1.1. Right?

In terms of what we send in response headers, I assume, you mean.  If
so, then yes, it certainly seems that way to me...

rst