httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: New Makefile
Date Thu, 17 Aug 1995 13:10:19 GMT
  However, I thought that the current default was gcc? That's certainly what
   it's set to in the 0.8.9 distribution Configuration file.

... which also sets -DSUNOS4, which is obviously not appropriate for all
systems (but is appropriate for gcc).  Basically, NCSA has always shipped
with SunOS defaults on, and out of inertia, we are, for the moment,
continuing the condition.  However, it also says that this *should* be
changed on systems other than SunOS...

(the DEFAULT_CC hack is roughly what I had in mind, btw, with the overriding
working, if the user has selected something else in the Makefile, by
generating
  CC= whatever
instead of
  CC= $(DEFAULT_CC)
--- this is a few lines of awk in building Makefile.go).

rst