httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@www.elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Second beta release?
Date Thu, 17 Aug 1995 13:36:17 GMT
Brian:
> 1) in my opinion file locking on log files is just plain bad.  I found
> this out tonight while setting up some tricky internal web stuff - I want
> to have two wholly separate daemons on two separate ports logging to the
> same error and access log file, so I don't want to have one trying to
> block the other by locking the log files.

Agreed, I've tried doing this lots of times, bringing a new copy of apache
up on 8888 alongside it's older sibling on 80.  I don't want the servers to
interfere with each other, and I don't really care if they write to the same
log files for a short while.

	http -nolocks

perhaps?

> 2) We noticed that if DocumentRoot was a symlink to a directory somewhere
> else, the server died on parsing the httpd.conf complaining that it wasn't
> a directory.  In the same vein, we had a need for a DocumentRoot that
> might not exist at web server launch time, so we slightly modified
> http_core.c to make the DocumentRoot-doesn't-exist condition a warning
> instead of a fatal error.  Do others think this is appropriate for apache
> to do?

If this is a feature that you find useful then certainly, Apache should be
able to do it.  If its a general approach that's desirable:

	http -warnings

	Start the server but all sanity checks that would cause
	failure just cause STDERR warnings.  In all but the most
	extreme cases (can't write scorebord file) proceed regardless.

It this useful?  I mean you COULD add a million directives a la:

	StartupIgnoreErrors

but is that what you *need*?

Basically if anyone's using funky hacks on standard apache code then I want to
get some too! ;)

Ay