httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Incorrect negotiation of encoding
Date Wed, 09 Aug 1995 19:50:18 GMT
   Date: Wed, 9 Aug 95 20:01:44 +0200
   From: guillaum@clipper.ens.fr (Florent Guillaume)

   This is because my browser doesn't send any Accept-Encoding (BTW, does
   ANY browser send Accept-Encoding ?), and the negotiation code refuses to
   serve an encoded version in that case.

   But I think this is incorrect, as draft-ietf-http-v10-spec-01, chapter 9
   (Content negotiation) says :

	   If the variant has no assigned Content-Encoding, or if no
	   Accept-Encoding field is present, the value assigned is "qe=1"

   If you agree with me, then here's a patch :

Look further --- Apache implements the content negotiation mechanism
specified in Roy's *previous* draft, which actually *mandates* the
objectionable behavior --- and this is far from the only thing which
changed.  Just so you know...

rst