httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: promoting apache
Date Wed, 09 Aug 1995 09:56:34 GMT
   Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 22:28:06 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>

   I mean... really... does anyone out here *really* care about 1000 bytes
   here or there? I made the 32 color version because Brian had a legitamite
   concern about 256-color displays, but I don't think we should try and
   squeeze it into the smallest file we can for just that reason.

   Of course, I could be wrong.

\begin{Devil's advocacy}
For people stuck on the wrong end of a 14.4K SLIP line, the effective
data delivery rate is probably on the order of 1K/sec, after serial
start/stop/parity bits and TCP overhead.  An extra seconds's delay can
be significant if it comes up at the wrong time.
\end{Devil's advocacy}

Seriously, I think this is a little too little to be seriously worried
about, but with much larger images, I would take the problem more
seriously....

rst