httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@www.elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache 0.8.6 (fwd)
Date Tue, 08 Aug 1995 19:59:15 GMT
[directories inheriting characteristics from their parents]
> I've thought about this before. It would be nice, and quite natural to
> have a .htaccess file at the root of a tree, say for a particular
> client that has pages on your server. Then any hits to areas below
> that sub-root would be covered by the one .htaccess file you manage for
> that client.
>
> The problem is that the implementation requires that you search every
> directory in the path for a .htaccess file and parse every one you find,
> which may turn out to be a bit hard on your poor server. The access allowed
> when you finally reach the leaf would just be whatever each attribute
> is set to after parsing each .htaccess you found on the way.
>
> With some thought solutions could be found, such as cached access
> attributes for directories that have already been hit and so forth but
> I stopped thinking about it :-)

Weeel, you should see what the MOO and COLD people are doing to webservers.
They have object-oriented systems with a DOCUMENT_ROOT at the ROOT_OBJECT
and all the little subclasses can redefine any access methods that
their parents support.  Really, really nice, but definately rocket science.

Ay.