httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@www.elsevier.co.uk>
Subject ErrorDocument control from .htaccess files...
Date Mon, 07 Aug 1995 21:19:57 GMT

Hi,

	08.8's http_core.c sez:

/* Note --- change the mask below, and ErrorDocument will work from
 * .htaccess files.  The question is, what AllowOverride should webmasters
 * have to turn it off?
 */

so I turned:

   { "ErrorDocument", set_error_document, NULL, RSRC_CONF, RAW_ARGS, NULL },

into

   { "ErrorDocument", set_error_document, NULL, OR_ALL, RAW_ARGS, NULL },
						   ^
						   ^
put

   ErrorDocument 404 http://somewhere/over/the/rainbow/

in /foo/bar/.htaccess, and fired up the URL:

   http://there/foo/bar/duntexist.html

The result being that I get a redirect to http://somewhere/over/the/rainbow/
whenever I look in /foo/bar for a file that doesn't exist.  This is useful
especially if you want to avoid having one huge script to handle error
redirection.  The latter isn't really feasible when you're maintaining a
site with lots of different applications (and managers, and programmers)
who're all queueing up to add their own 3-line-hack to the system's
handle_error.pl script.

1) All this is to be expected, but am I going over the top by choosing
OR_ALL?  Could I make do with a more restrictive OR_? (there isn't one
specific enough)

2)  Uuuh, and yeah, could we end up getting a specific directive to
enable/disable this behaviour in the future, like, forinstance:

	AllowOverride Errors

Consider this a +1 request for 0.8.8-and-a-bit ;)

Cheers,
Ay.

     Andrew Wilson	     URL: http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk/User/Andrew.Wilson/
Elsevier Science, Oxford   Office: +44 01865 843155    Mobile: +44 0589 616144