httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@www.elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: So, where do we stand?
Date Wed, 02 Aug 1995 22:33:53 GMT
> So, where do we stand?
> In particular, how do people feel about releasing 0.8.6 as is, and how
> many want it to wait until the scoreboard cleanup (which would
> probably take another few days at least, assuming we trust the new
> code to work right off the bat)?

There's no point releasing anything that will definately need an immediate
fix.  Cuz it'll just have to be, er, immediately fixed and we end up looking
like idiots for releasing (and announcing it) in the first place.

If there's a possible security flaw introduced as a result of rogue
permissions on the scoreboard file then that should really be fixed before
things go any further.  ( Zeroable file causing fork bombing perhaps).

If the server eats dogfood on account of Joe Random Web-admin's setting
a configuration value too low ( RobH's MAX servers << HARD_SERVER_MAX )
then I could live with that provided the conf files carried a stong notice
to the effect of 'DONT PRESS THIS BUTTON'.  Ideally of course the server
should just NEVER let itself get into that position in the first place.

Coding style and performance issues wouldn't bother me, provided that
the performance hit isn't too great. ( waitpid relying on supposed
default behaviour of a kernel call, wait ).

Whatever, it sound's like RobH for one has got a real rat's nest on his
hands.  It'd be nice to know things were clear for his HP's before
proceeding.

> rst

Mm, all this aside, Apache just keeps getting better and better.  Yummy.

Ay.